Friday, August 12, 2005

Doin My Part
As you may have noticed from reading this blog, I tend to avoid homeless people around here. I'm a firm believer in the saying "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime." I don't like just giving cash to random people when its only a small temporary solution to their problem. In many cases, depending on what they use with the money, it may be hurting them more than helping. I think career advice would be a much more valuable to these people than some pocket change.

Since I've been here I've wanted to do my part towards helping the situation. I spent a good bit of time researching and I've decided to donate $50 monthly to the Greater Chicago Food Depository. They basically make food for over 600 needy agencies in the city and they also have a program where they provide job training in their food kitchens. The job training part is what really appealled to me. That and about 1/3 of the people they feed are children.

No comments: