Monday, October 08, 2007

NLDS Game #3

What can I say?  It was still a hell of a year.


It was a great experience to be at a Cubs playoff game, but unfortunately the result was anything but.  The lineup couldn't manufacture a run worth a damn, thus my Cubs were swept by the Diamondbacks in the NLDS.

After the game ended I sat there solemnly for 10 minutes, getting up only because I had to pee.  After I did my business I actually went back to my seat to continue to watch the rest of the crowd clear out of the ballpark.  After another 5-10 minutes I went down to the first row and loitered there with 30 or so of my fellow mourners.  We stood around soaking in the last of Wrigley Field we could in 2007.  It wasn't until the ushers told us "time to go home folks" that we finally cleared out, a good 30 minutes after the game was over.

On my way out the gate I told the gentlemen watching people out, "See you in April."  He replied with "I'll be here."

So ends another season.  I believe Rogers Hornsby said it best when he exclaimed, "People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

No comments: